Reuters drops plan for Nottingham hub
Tuesday 22 November 2016
Reuters has scrapped a plan to establish a global sub-editing hub in the provincial English city of Nottingham because too few staff volunteered to transfer from London.
The proposal was unveiled internally in May when editorial employees were told it was part of a drive to forge a more global approach to desking and give staff the chance to work outside expensive locations such as London, Singapore and New York.
Europe, Middle East and Africa regional editor Richard Mably said then that centralising some desking resources in the UK “will, over time, allow us to operate more efficiently and bring more consistency to our standards and operations”.
The plan was to have the new desk 110 miles north of the capital operational by the end of the year and build it up over a number of years as people changed jobs or left the company.
But Mably, who is moving to a new role as global editor for commodities and financial markets, told text editors on the main London desk earlier this month that there had been very little interest from journalists so the idea had been dropped.
Abbe Serphos, Reuters global head of PR and communications, told The Baron: “We had limited response to the proposal and it has been dropped for the foreseeable future.” ■