About the Baron
THE BARON is an open, free and independent website. Its sole purpose is to communicate topical and historical information of interest to Reuters people past and present. It has no connection with Thomson Reuters or any of its operating companies, nor is it affiliated with or sponsored by any other organisation. It subsists solely on voluntary donations. Donations can be made by subscribing to Friends of The Baron or by contacting the editor.
The founder, editor and publisher of The Baron is Barry May, former Reuters correspondent, editor and manager. He is a former editor of Reuters World magazine, corporate internal communications manager, corporate publications manager and deputy managing editor; a trustee of Reuters Pension Fund, a committee member of The Reuter Society, a member of the Journalists' Charity, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a Freeman of the City of London, a Liveryman of The Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers and a trustee of the Stationers' Foundation.
EDITORIAL ADVISORY BOARD
- Marcus Ferrar (chairman) - author and strategic communication consultant; formerly correspondent and communications director, Reuters group marketing
- Martin Davids - had senior roles in Reuters technical development in the 1980s and 1990s and was a key figure in building the organisation's business with financial markets
- Bob Evans - former correspondent
- Nelson Graves - founder of News-Decoder explanatory news service; former administrator at Johns Hopkins University's graduate programme in Italy; former Reuters editor, Japan and editor, Italy and Greece
- Paul Holmes - chief executive, North America, RLM Finsbury; formerly Reuters global editor, political and general news
- Michael Nelson - author; formerly Reuters general manager
- Michael Reilly - writing and media training consultant; formerly Reuters senior vice president, external relations
- David Schlesinger - founder and managing director, Tripod Advisors; formerly chairman, Thomson Reuters China, and Reuters editor-in-chief
- Stephen Somerville - chairman, The Reuter Society; formerly director, Reuters Foundation
- Tom Thomson - group managing editor, Herald Times Group; formerly managing editor, Reuters
- David Ure - trustee of several charities; formerly strategy advisor to the Reuters board
- Betty Wong - author and consultant; formerly global managing editor of Reuters.
More than a quarter of a million people have visited this website since it was launched in 2008. Visitor traffic measured by Google Analytics shows that more than half of them were returning visitors. The number of individual page views is more than half a million a year. ■